Monday 14 November 2016

Fried Red Bean Paste Buns

Food is one of the best ways to tie us to our past and our memories. One of my most precious childhood memories is sitting in my grandparents’ kitchen watching my grandmother cook for me and my grandfather.  I lost both of them 19 years ago and I still missed my grandmother so much and cried when I thought about her.

The smell of these buns always reminds me of my childhood. These buns are the one I find myself dreaming about when hunger and nostalgia come together. 

Now I'm getting hungry again!




Fried Red Bean Paste Buns



Ingredients

500gm Pau flour / plain flour
300gm red bean paste (I use store bought)
6gm instant yeast
50gm veg oil
½ tsp salt
100gm caster sugar
250gm luke warm water


Instructions

Sift the flour into a mixing bowl.

In another bowl, combine luke warm water (hot water will kill the yeast), yeast, veg oil, sugar and salt then pour into the mixing bowl. With dough hook attached, mix it in medium speed for 7 minutes until the dough is smooth.  The dough should be a little sticky at the end of kneading.

With floured hands, tip dough out on lightly floured flat surface and shaped it into a long log then divide it into 50gm each piece. Shape each piece of dough into a smooth ball. You should get between 26-28 pieces. 

Cover the dough with cling wrap and let it proof for 10 minutes.

Divide the red bean filling into 26 – 28 pieces or depending on how many dough balls you have and shape them into a ball. Set aside.

Dust the work surface with flour. Flatten each dough ball and place the filling in the center of the dough. Wrap the dough around the filling and pinch the edges together, forming a ball again. Gently press the ball until it is shaped like a mini pancake.

Let it proof again for 1 hour.

Deep fry over medium heat until golden brown and serve warm.



(Adapted from Rasa.com)




P.S. This song reminds me of my grandma. (The first Malay song that I learned to sing) 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...