Friday 9 September 2016

Bird's Eyes Chili Sardines

During the entire month of Ramadan, I always try to cook something simple, easy and delicious for suhoor to provide needed energy throughout the day of fasting for my family. Canned sardines is a great convenience food that many people enjoy, even crave! I keep at least a few cans of sardines in tomato sauce in my pantry, to eat with rice or toast or to make the filling for sardine puffs.

The following recipe is adapted from Azie Kitchen but I added a few things to suit our taste. We just love it so much! To me, it’s a simple, delicious and very comforting dish.



Bird's Eye Chili Sardines


Ingredients

1 small can of sardines in tomato sauce (separate the fish and the tomato sauce)
½ yellow onion – sliced
4 cloves garlic
15 pcs fresh bird’s eye chilies (Add more if you like it spicier)
2 tbsp chili sauce (I added this)
2 tbsp water (I added this)
Seasonings – ½ tsp chicken stock granules (I added this, I prefer Maggi Brand)


Method

1.    Using a pestle and mortar, pound the garlic then followed by the chili, into a paste.  Be careful when you do this as you really do not want to get any chili in your eyes.  Sort of pound and look away and take a peek now and then.

2.    Heat up a wok and add about 1½ tbsp of oil then sauté the yellow onion until soft. To this, add the garlic and chili paste and saute until fragrant.



3.    Add in the sardines and let it be slightly fried, turn over to fry both side, making sure you don’t break the sardines up in the process. You will soon hear popping sounds!




4.    Pour in the tomato sauce (that has been set aside earlier), chili sauce, water and season with chicken stock.



5.    Let it simmer for another 2 minutes then dish out. Serve with hot rice or bread.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...