Sunday 19 November 2017

Remembering Datuk John Gaisah

This post is a tribute to my most favourite local singer of all time. 


Music has always been a huge part of my life even though I can't sing, dance or play an instrument. I got my love and appreciation of music from my paternal grandaunt. She played John Gaisah all the time. That's what started my interest in John Gaisah.  



Over the years, I’ve remained a John Gaisah fan. However, it’s only much later that I was able to start my own record collection.

Now, every once in a while, I would put the CD on the player and close my eyes. That means more than you know.


His songs really bring back great memories of my childhood. I know almost all of his songs by heart and would sing along to some of his songs. 



Born as Lapius John Gaisah on 8th April 1955 in Sinsuran Village, Tambunan, Sabah.



In 2012, he was honoured with a posthumous award of the title ‘Datuk’ in conjuction with Sabah Head of State Tun Juhar Mahirudin’s 59th birthday celebrations, as an acknowledgement of his contribution and services to the state’s music industry. It's a long overdue award but it's better late than never. He had contributed a lot to the music and cultural development of Sabah.


John successfully raised the state’s image through his multi-talented roles as a musician, singer and song writer, especially in the local Kadazandusun dialect. John, who was once dubbed Sabah’s Tom Jones, had carved a name for himself in the industry after winning third place in the Bintang RTM 1976 competition which was won by the late Sudirman Arshad. After Bintang RTM 1976 John breathed new life and propelled Sabah’s music industry, through Kadazandusun Murut music, to the nation’s mainstream music industry.


John died tragically at 26 in a road accident at Kilometer 2, Penampang road on August 11, 1981.




He was a multi-talented artiste who could sing, play music and write songs and many of his songs are still popular today. The gifted musician had written many songs in his short lifetime.

Dear John, 
Your songs never left us. Thank you for giving so much. Rest in peace!


P/S
It is very difficult to choose one song of him as all his songs are equally awesome. These are my favourites – Nupus Ku Dia Oi Honey and Soira Osorou Ku. To me, these are not just songs but it is a journey down the memory lane. So, kick back, plug in your headphones and travel back in time with me.




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...