Thursday 13 October 2016

Black Glutinous Rice Dessert

I love black glutinous rice. But after that higher-than-normal blood sugar reading recently, Hub would start grumbling every time I mention I’m craving for it. Whenever he does that, I would tell him to think about it in a positive way that if I’m gone he could look for a slimmer, sexy and younger wife. Then he would give me that are you kidding me look and walk away. It works every time....

Three years ago, I decided to sell this dessert at the Bazaar Ramadan and it was a hit although I also had to compete with a few stall that’s also selling it. It’s gone in just a few seconds. My customers said my black rice porridge is excellent, better than any they have eaten. Of course I said, you’re buying quality stuff, people (hahaha…said it to myself). For health reasons, I reduce the sugar amount.



Black Glutinous Rice Dessert

Ingredients

1 cup black glutinous rice
¼ cup sugar or palm sugar (Adjust to your liking)
1 cup coconut milk
A pinch of salt
1 pandan leave - washed and knotted


Directions

Rinse the black rice thoroughly and soak for 1 hour.

Rinse it again and put into a medium-sized pot with about 7 cups of water and bring to a boil, covered, over medium heat until the rice is soft and breaks up, about 45 minutes. Stirring occasionally so that it will cook evenly. Keep checking the water level, if it’s become too dry then add more water.

When the rice is tender, stir in the coconut milk, sugar, pandan leave and salt.  

Let it simmer for another 5 minutes, stir to combine well. You may add some water if it is too thick. If you like it creamier, add more coconut milk. Turn off the heat.

Serve warm.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...