Monday 31 October 2016

Mom's Fish Curry

Well, this dish is still one of my favorites. Ms Lee (my mom) used to cook this dish when I was a little girl, when I used to visit her during one of those school holidays. I learned to cook this dish 4 years ago and have made it many times for my family.

This recipe is especially for my SIL, A, a Tambunan lass. She was in her 1st trimester pregnant with the twin, D and D when she and my brother, D came to visit us at our new house when we first moved to Sabah and I served them this dish. It is a Chinese style fish curry.

She loved it and requested Ms Lee to teach her how to cook it but Ms Lee instead told her to get the recipe from me…. So, a couple of months later,  I invited her again to my place and walk her through the recipe.

Ms Lee likes to use 88 brand curry powder but as for me, I prefer to use Adabi brand Fish curry powder as I find it more flavourful. If you live in Asia, you'll easily find all the ingredients at your local market or grocery store. Otherwise, they are generally available at any Asian grocers. If you do not like fish head then you can always use fish fillet. This recipe is so rich in flavour that after eating it you will feel its delightful aromas lingering on the palate for hours.

So let’s get cooking!



Mom’s Fish Curry


Ingredients

1 whole Fish head (about 500gm) – cut into 2
2-inch ginger – thinly sliced
2 shallots – thinly sliced
1 clove garlic – thinly sliced
4 tbsp Adabi Fish curry powder
3 cups water
½ cup thick coconut milk
1 tbsp tamarind paste (diluted with 2 tbsp water)
1 red chili - slit into half lengthwise
1 tomato – quartered
Salt – to taste
Sugar – to taste


Instructions

Rinse the fish head thoroughly and pat dry. Set aside.

Heat oil in a wok, sauté the ginger, shallots and garlic over medium heat till lightly browned.  

Stir in tamarind mixture and curry powder then stir fry until fragrant and oil separates.

Add the fish head, water and coconut milk then bring to a boil.

Seasons with salt and sugar then add the tomato and red chili.

Continue to simmer gently for about 8 - 10 minutes or until the sauce is thickened to a desired consistency and the fish is cooked through.
Dish out. Serve with steaming hot rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...