Thursday 27 October 2016

Cassava Fritters

My brother, A, came to our house today and brought us a bunch of yellow cassava roots, freshly dug up from our farm. Thank you Allah! Honestly, at first I didn't have any idea of what to do with it. I remember my grandparents used to grow them in our farm. My grandmother would just fry or boil or make it into a cake. So today I would like to share with all of you one of my favourite childhood foods.


Underneath the easily bruised brown skin of this starchy root lies a pale yellow interior which can be cooked in various ways. Cassava can be boiled, fried, steamed, baked, grilled or mashed. I absolutely love eating cassava fritters and prefer it any day over a potato and it go great with any sauce.


Cassava Fritters


Ingredients

500gm cassava
Vegetable oil
Salt – to taste


Directions

Cut the tapered ends off of the root then cut the root into segments, 3 or 4-inch long. Peel off the skin to reveal the yellow flesh. Then cut into ½-inch strips. In the middle of the roots there will be a woody core, this need to be removed by carefully removing it with a knife. Wash, drain and set aside.

Heat a pan with oil and once the oil is hot, slowly add the cassava strips and fry them until they're golden brown on all sides.

Dish out and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and serve.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...